Sunday, May 7, 2017

KPPC





One of the most interesting places I have ever been to was only a ten minute drive from where I grew up in Smithtown, New York. Since 2002 when I first got my license, I have visited the abandoned Kings Park Psychiatric Center on Long Island dozens of times. I went there with girlfriends and buddies alike, having a blast every single time--most recently in 2012 with my friends Barbara, Cassie, and Mike shortly before coming to Florida. The police, at least from my experience--never seemed to care about kids exploring the grounds. I never captured any video footage and only took a few pictures because I was more interested in experiencing it rather than walking around while staring through my cell phone screen the entire time. I've seen and been inside all of the buildings that are explored in this video, but these people definitely covered a lot more ground and were a lot more thorough than we ever were. Building #93 (the 13 story building featured in the thumbnail image) still fascinates me today. I also enjoyed seeing all the aerial views of the property. Judging from the looks of the buildings inside and out, it's easy for one to believe these buildings must've been closed for 30 or 40 years. In reality though, the hospital complex shut its doors for good in 1995. It's beautiful, but haunting. Soothing, but ominous. If I didn't feel too old to explore abandoned buildings at this point (and if other circumstances were different), I could certainly think of someone that I would love to take there one day for a round of further exploration. However, I think I'd bring respirators this time around. I certainly wouldn't want someone I care about so much to inhale asbestos.

No comments:

Post a Comment